[Amps] AL-1200 input

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] AL-1200 input
From: Mike Kasrich <aj9c@indy.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:42:50 -0400
I saw a comment at one point somewhere that there was a problem with the
AL-1200 and low output.  For some reason I've not been able to track
down anything on the net.  I have an AL-1200 serial # 436 with the
internal qsk board installed.  I purchased this used from a guy who said
it had low 10m output.  When checking the swr on my MKV with the amp in
line the swr on the input is almost full scale (hence the low out put
I'm figuring).  Ive attempted to adjust the 10m inductor for the input
but there doesnt appear to be any dip even though the core is being
moved the entire length of the inductor.  Ive noticed the same thing to
a lesser extent on 20m where the tube input cannot be adjusted below
about 1.5-1.7 to 1.  All the other bands can be adjusted flat (although
the 40m inductor the core is all the way screwed in)

Has anyone else experienced this type of problem with their AL-1200 (or
1500 if the input tuning is similar).  If so what was the solution? What
things would you folks be looking for if you have not had direct
experience with the AL-1200 but have had other amps with this problem.
Im trying to eliminate some easy/cheap repair possibilities and avoid
mulitple packages being shipped either to Ameritron or some other amp
repair place unless I absolutely have to do so.  Replacing the input
componets would be the next step but none of them seem to burnt,
charred, shorted to the chassis or otherwise in disrepair.

Thanks for reading this message.

Mike/aj9c