Re: [Amps] autotune project.

To: jan@on6zg.be, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] autotune project.
From: "wc6w@juno.com" <wc6w@juno.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 19:19:39 GMT
Hi Jan,
   I've been down that path 4 times.  Once 20 years ago and more
recently for 3 amps under construction.

   The  are:
      A 4CX1500B with stepper motor driven Plate & Load caps plus Pi, L
& Grid roller coils.  See: http://tinyurl.com/27qzs  for some old photos.

      A design with 9 stepper motors driving 5 caps & 4 coils -- Don't
ask what for!

      A Transistorized design with 5 gearhead motors driving 4 caps and
a bandswitch.

      A 4CX600JA(x2) with gearhead motor driven Plate & Load caps plus
a bandswitch -- The simplest configuation  See:
http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wamps/index.html?fr20.html/
for a.... parts list.

   In the design process, I considered the relative suitability of
relay selected fixed components versus continuously variable parts.
Motor driven designs with lumped variable components were selected in
each instance based on cost & complexity.  Viewing the link you
included confirms my research!  Here in the states, suitable vacuum
caps may be had surplus for $100-$200, add surplus gearhead motors for
$10-$20 each.  Finally, a couple of gears plus a 10 turn pot and viola!
 Motor driven tuning.

   Roller coils were included in all my tube designs excepting the last
one where the plate choke problem will be "eliminated".  See:
http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wamps/index.html?fr62.html/

   For tune & load sensing, I've included ancient discriminator
circuitry similar to that shown at:
http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wamps/index.html?fr432.html/
 Single Sideband Systems & Circuits (any editon) by Sabin & Schonike
also details these designs.

  A PIC microprocessor is used to determine the operating frequency by
direct counting.
See: http://wc6w.50webs.com/wc6wtest/index.html?fr10.html/
  And then to recall "preset" tuning positions from an EEPROM.  Final
tuning is implemented by allowing the discrimator & load sensors to
drive the motors directly in an analog servo loop.   The resulting
postions are then updated in memory.

  It sounds almost easy when described in screen ink!  :-)

73 & Good morning,
  Marv WC6W

-- jan <jan@on6zg.be> wrote:
Hi,

Has anyone tried on building an autotune HF amplifier? Something like
the acom 2000 or like this http://kotisivu.mtv3.fi/oh3bu/ampproject.htm ?
I´m interested in ideas on making it with a processor.

73 Jan, ON6ZG.

*