Re: [Amps] 4CX1500 class AB1 vs. AB2

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 4CX1500 class AB1 vs. AB2
From: "Mike McCarthy, W1NR" <lists@w1nr.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2006 08:10:20 -0500
Hmmm...There seems to be some confusion here.  The tubes in question are
Eimac 4CX1500B tubes.  According to the data sheet it lists and recommends
AB2 operation for lowest IMD in RF linear service.  This is in stark
contrast to the 4CX1000A which states running it into the AB2 region is a
bad thing.  Running the 1500 in AB2 offers 1100W output in typical
operation.  My main question is can the tube be operated in AB1 according to
the 4CX1000A specs for additional power output (screen voltage at 325V vs.
225V)?  Does AB2 operation with the 4CX1500B really offer a noticeable
advantage in IMD over running it in AB1?

I think the bottom line is that if running the tube at AB2 (225V screen)
offers no significant advantage over AB1 (325V screen) then I have no need
to make it switchable.

Thanks,
Mike, W1NR