Re: [Amps] Buying Amp

To: "'jsternmd'" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Buying Amp
From: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:57:02 -0600
I haven't gone out and looked at what anybody has said about any of these
amplifiers.  However, I thought I'd mention a buddy of mine bought a new
PW-1 and it went wacky within a week of coming out of the box.  They
exchanged amplifiers at the dealer and the second one was flat DOA coming
out of the box.  HE lives 225 miles one way from the dealer.

The dealer did a trade on a new ALPHA, he misses the 87A he sold off to get
the fancy PW-1 but the alpha works.

I will also make a note.  I cycled through 4 ICOM IC-756PRO II's here within
a year trying to get them to work correctly.  The first was back at ICOM for
the 6 meter mod.  Mine was the first radio with the 6 meter situation.

Well first to notice it, as I actually operate 6.

Once I got the radio back (4 months later however with a 1 year warrantee
extension) I wasn't on 6 for a while and it seemed to be OK.  I bought a
second and it was flaky on SSB, so was the third.  The forth was oscillating
on 6 meters and when I tried the original it still oscillated on 6 meters.

Since it was two days before the VHF contest I traded the two 756's back in
and lost $3000 as time had gone by..  Always jump right on problems.  On a
IC-7800 which has worked flawlessly (up to its other limitations)

I added a second radio to the shack a new 756PRO III when it became
available I was the first to get one of those too... a 1 year wait.

It was DOA out of the box.  Sent in for 1 month to get fixed and came back
just the same.  I returned it.  Wasn't credited the full amount and popped a
gasket....

Wondering if I will EVER by ICOM again.  I've had them since my first 781
was one of the first delivered.  I surely don't think they are on top of
this radio thing anymore.  The big ride is over.

BOB DD