[Amps] Follow-up on Bouncy Meter

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Follow-up on Bouncy Meter
From: "JOS Earthlink" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Dec 2006 09:53:06 -0500
Hi Group,

Thanks for the advice on the bouncy meter.  After removing it from the amp -
it is clear that this is a mechanical issue.  When the meter is out of the
amp physically and gently turned right and left you can see that the meter
arm can bounce around wildly from one end of the scale to the next.  I have
another identical meter and they are fairly resistant to this hysteresis
motion.  When in circuit, this bouciness manifests itself by wide swings of
over-shooting and/or undershooting before it settles to the correct
position.  Someone suggested placing a capacitor across the meter but this
clearly is a mechanical not electronic problem. Is this mechanical problem
fixable?  I assume there are dampening springs inside and somehow they are
not functioning properly?  Replacing these meters with new, old stock costs
about $70 - is it worth fixing the old one?

73 Jerry
K1JOS