[Amps] Amplifiers and amp projects for sale

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Amplifiers and amp projects for sale
From: "John Farber" <kg6i@hughes.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 04:08:21 -0000
Hi folks.
I need to clean the shack (and the garage). I have several amps and
in-progress amps I'd like to sell at very reasonable prices if there is
interest in them.
1. Pair of 3-500 Z HF or dedicated 6 m amp. HB conversion amp I built, using
a Hallicrafters HL-33 chassis, pair of 3-500Zs. Separate, outboard HD HV PS
running 3.5 kV. I got 1300 W out when driving with 100 W exciter, 1500 W out
when driving with about 150 W in, or typical for a pair of 3-500Zs. I made
it originally as a 160-10 m HF amp and used it for 15 years in that
configuration. I then bought an Alpha 99, so decided to convert my old HB
amp to a dedicated 6 m amp. I got as far as removing the HF tank, winding a
new filament choke, and started on the output circuit when I found a HB 6m
amp and bought it. So now I have my old amp just sitting.  I still have all
the tank parts, so if you're an amp builder type you could put the tank ckt
back in and have a nice 160-10m linear.
2. HB HF amp I bought and am not using. Single 4-1000A, pair of Jennings vac
variables in the tank. Big box chassis, very well made. 80-10, uses an
outboard PS in a 3 ft high rollaround rack. A serious amp. It blew the HV
xfmr and I replaced it with a Peter Dahl unit, will do close to 1500 W out,
but I believe higher B+ is needed to really make the amp "sing". Again, if
interested, we can discuss price. Both units are heavy, so they must be
picked up in the Santa Cruz Mtns. area near San Jose, CA.
3. 6 meter unfinished amplifier deck. I also have an unfinished dedicated 6
m amp deck, using a single 4-1000A tube, with the Eimac cast aluminum "air
system socket. I has an onboard
filament xfmr, but I used another HV supply for another amp to test it, so
you would have to come up with the HV supply and a blower. It is still in
rather crude "prototype form" but the input matching circuit is installed
and works, the tank circuit is installed and works and uses a neat little
Jennings vac variable cap. They both resonate well and provided a good match
to my exciter and into a 50 ohm dummy load. I originally built it to be a
tetrode amp, powered by my FT-726R (10 W output on 6m). I was able to get it
to amplify, 8 W in gave me 800 W out, BUT I never cured the problem of
oscillation. Wired as a tetrode, it also has a screen supply, and I suspect
that needs better regulation. The design was printed in QST and was from a
W1 if I remember, (W1QJ or some such) I probably have the article I built it
from, if not, I'm sure you could get your hands on as reprint. You could
just convert it to g.g. triode mode and drive it with a 100 W exciter. It's
just sitting on my shack floor, so I'm willing to part with it for a
reasonable (low) price. It's about 1 ft by 17 inches or so, with a good
tube. I even have a couple meters to go with it. I can take photos if you
want. I'd like to sell it, as I've moved on to other projects. This could be
shipped in two boxes, the deck in one and the tube in the other.
I could take photos of some of these ( the roll around 3 ft PS rack is
buried in the garage). We can discuss price if you are interested.
Thanks, John