[Amps] Alpha 87a High SWR between Exciter and Amp vs Bad Bandswitch

To: "Mike Schatzberg" <cherokeehillfarm@earthlink.net>,<Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87a High SWR between Exciter and Amp vs Bad Bandswitch
From: "JOS Earthlink" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 22:52:05 -0500
Hi Mike, Hi Group,

Well I did the experiments and it was interesting.  The best coax length I
found was 20 feet and I made the mistake of cutting it further back to 19.5
then 19 only to see things deteriorate but it was worth the $25 in cable
hihi.  It didn't solve all the SWR issues but I think it is a fairly good
solution.

Bottom line:

10m has improved from SWR of ~2.0 to now 1.5
12m remains the same aroud 2.3
15m improved from 2.2 to 1.7
17m improved the most from 2.3 to 1.5
20m improved from 1.5-1.7 now its a flat 1.1 across the band
30m remains the same about 1.4
40m has improved form 1.3-1.5 now is 1.1 across the band
80m has worsened at the low end.  3500-3600 KHZ was 1.7 - 1.3 and now its
2.4 - 1.7.  But I don't plan to use it for CW.  While 3700-4000 Khz was
1.3-1.4 it's now 1.2

160m worsened from 1.5-2.0 it's now 2.2 across the band.

The other interesting comment from someone in the group was that the
measured SWR may not be an accurate reading if there is significant RF on
the shielding.  I don't know why that would be the case in my well RF single
point grounded system setup but I tried by inserting a T4 line isolator by
Radio Works with a 6' coax on either side to the TS950SD and the 87a and I
repeated the experiment.  Lo and behold, my SWR vastly improved and was only
1.1 across the bands on 10m, 15m, 17m, 20m, 30m and 40m.  On 80m SWR was 1.5
or less from 3650 - 4000 Khz.  Things improved on 160m with SWR 1.5-1.7.

However, I have found one remaining problem - a reproducible but
intermittent problem when switching to 80m and only to 80m.  Sometimes the
SWR read by my Kenwood TS-950SD is > 5 and other times it is at < 1.5. When
it reads > 5 the power output from the TS-950SD folds back and I cannot get
more than 800w output on the 87a. This seems to happen more often when
switching from band extremes like from 15m or 17m to 80m.  When it happens
that the SWR >5 I can usally get it back to a normal SWR by making smaller
band changes, e.g. go from 15m to 20m then to 40m then to 80m.  I am certain
it is a problem with the 87a and not the TS-950SD because I can reproduce
the intermittent by keeping an 80m frequency on the Kenwood and then
selecting a different band on the 87a... on xmit when the 87a autotunes back
to the 80m frequency, the SWR sometimes will be > 5.

I've been told that this can sometimes be fixed by reprogramming the
microprocessor that controls the bandswitch position.  Is there any way I
can do this at home without shipping the amp back to Alpha?  I'm concerned
that with the problem being intermittent and only on 80m that it's more than
the bandswitch contact positioning but maybe a bad stepper motor that's
beginning to fail.

73 Jerry
K1JOS
CCA #11906