Re: [Amps] Thoriated tungsten lifetime when idling tspa

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Thoriated tungsten lifetime when idling tspa
From: "John T. M. Lyles" <jtml@lanl.gov>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2007 18:05:29 -0700
Tom, You are correct, for Eimac its normally stated as limit the
current to 2 x the operating current on turnon. I was guessing
conservatively. I checked and the same thing applies with the larger
tubes by CPI/Eimac today. For RCA/Burle tubes, it is stated in the
preambles to refer to the individual datasheets, and on them, i see
nothing about maximum filament current on startup, only
recommendations to ramp up slowly.  For E2V (Marconi, EEV) the number
is all over the map, from 1. 5 x to 6 x, depending on the tube.

Another factor in very large tubes, with close spaced control grids
made of pyrolytic graphite, is to ramp up slowly and limit inrush due
to the changes for the filament basket to expand in width, before it
expands in Z direction (length), which is under tension with springs.
In a short time (< minute) the expansion of filament is taken up in
the Z direction by the tensioner. Before this happens, though, there
is some chance for a G-K short, esp if the grid bias is already on.
The pyrolytic graphite grid is very stable and will remain
dimensionally in shape as the nearby filament is changing as it warms
up.
I was told this by a tube engineer at Thales in France, explaining
their ramp up requirements. For a 250 kW tetrode of theirs, I have a
ramp that takes about 8 minutes until its ready to run. Very slow.

73
John
K5PRO