Re: [Amps] High Power

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] High Power
From: gdaught6@stanford.edu
Date: Sun, 18 Feb 2007 16:55:41 -0800
On 18 Feb 2007 at 19:01, Tom W8JI wrote:

< snip >

> Just my opinion, but probably the worse thing we have to
> look forward to is (other than CB amps making it into
> amateur hands) "peak the power up" phobia. For every dB
> gained on frequency several dB worth of splatter is gained.
> Not a good tradeoff.

That's an opinion that I share as well, Tom.  In fact, sometimes
there is little-or-no increase in the desired signal when this is
done, as you said.  The increase in measured output power is almost
all going into the undesired products.  The output power on the meter
looks better, but the extra power is going into the "worked all
neighbors" parts of the band, and maybe even some out of band.

73,

George T. Daughters, K6GT