Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: ML!-2500 Filter Cap Replacement

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] *** SPAM *** Re: ML!-2500 Filter Cap Replacement
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 18:09:49 +0100 (CET)
I don't know if you had them in the US, but over here, we had what were called
'high stability' carbon composition. These were distinguished by a pink band
after the tolerance band, and were always in the ceramic tube variety of carbon
comp. Now those are remarkably stable - I've taken them out of 50 year old
equipment, and found them still within spec. There were also 'cracked carbon'
which are more akin to carbon film, and they were good, too. But your run of
the mill carbon comp....about all they're good for is winding VHF chokes on.
73
Peter G3RZP