Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise - an alternatecooling schemeusing

To: "Robert B. Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>,'David G4FTC' <g4ftc@hotmail.com>, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Getting rid of blower noise - an alternatecooling schemeusing the phase transition of liquid carbon dioxide
From: Colin Lamb <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2007 12:22:05 -0800 (GMT-08:00)
The jury is still out on the actual cause of the Hindenburg fire.  No doubt
Hydrogen was a major participant, but there may have been other factors.  Prior
to the final event, the Hindenburg had been struck by lightning on a number of
occasions without any bad effects.  Some claimed that the thermite paint may
have caused the explosion, although that theory has been generally discredited.
 Perhaps the most surprising fact was that the passenger compartments were
inside the Hindenburg (not in the gondola) and the passengers that remained
inside the Hindenburg and rode it to the ground all survived without injury.
Most of the deaths were from jumping.

The latest theory is that the Hindenburg had just previously exceeded the red
line speed in bad weather and suffered fatal structural failure.  That entire
structure was failing at Lakehurst and that failure allowed the gas enclosure
to rupture and the gas, when combined with oxygen became flamable.  This
escaping gas was ignited by lightning.

The Hindenburg had flown hundreds of thousands of miles prior to the disaster
with no problems.  In the end, the disaster was similar to other aircraft
disasters - the pilot exceeded the limitations set by the designer.

Colin K7FM