[Amps] SB200 problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] SB200 problem
From: "tjjapha@earthlink.net" <tjjapha@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 18:11:24 -0500
Wonder if anyone has run into this before:
I've recently had trouble loading the FT1000D into the SB200 on some bands.
Even with the tuner in the 1000 on, there are times when it doesn't load
properly.  The tuner cycles and cycles and cycles some more, but no luck.
Without the tuner, there's very little output from the 1000.

All the connections have been checked, and several resoldered.

To make things really interesting, when the 1000 is run barefoot, but with
connections through the amp, tuner on the 1000 off, and into a dummy load,
output of the 1000 is fine on 80-20.  On higher bands there is a great drop
in output.  On 10, output is about 100 watts (normal is 200).

Now, when the 1000 is run directly into the dummy load and not through the
amp (again, the amp is not on, so the 1000 output is running only through
the relay in the SB200), output of the 1000 is normal on all bands.  That's
so with the tuner on and off.

So I figured the problem is with the relay in the SB200 presenting a high
SWR on the higher bands.  I changed the relay, but the problem is still
there.  WHEN THE RELAY IS BYPASSED RIGHT AT ITS TERMINALS, OUTPUT GOES TO
NORMAL, BUT WITH THE RELAY IS IN THE CIRCUIT, EVEN UNENERGIZED, OUTPUT
FALLS A LOT.

Have you ever seen this?  If so, what can be done?

Many thanks and 73,
Tony, N2U