Re: [Amps] Plate Load Calc.

To: "Steve Flood" <flood@ixi.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Plate Load Calc.
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 21:32:33 -0500
> For calculating Resonant Plate Load, Orr's Handbook
> suggests 1.8 for the K-factor for Class B and C.
> Tonne's PI-EL software uses a K-factor of 1.8 for Class B
> and 2.0 for Class C.
> This gives quite a difference in the Resonant Plate Load.
> Let me guess...the answer is "both are correct".

K is a rough approximation. As a matter of fact the Q you
calculate using Rp/Xcp in a pi-net is another approximation.
The actual network Q is higher.

Fortunately the tank performance and system efficiency
doesn't change radically as Q is varied from the very
minimum of just over the square root of anode operating
impedance over load impedance to a few times that value.
Hams go overboard calculating and trying to use exact tank
values using formulas that are just rough approximations.

Is K 1.8 or 2? Why worry? It might actually be 1.5 or 2.5.
If you get the Q too low the loading control will work
backwards. If you get it too high the tuning will be
needlessly sharp and there will be a little more tank heat.

73 Tom