Re: [Amps] Reflector SCAM: Beware

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Reflector SCAM: Beware
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2007 19:26:36 +0000
>From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
>To: <amps@contesting.com>
>Subject: [Amps] Reflector SCAM: Beware
>Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 09:50:52 -0500
>
>Good Morning All,
>
>You may recall that last week I advertised on this Reflector for a 4-1000A
>tube...
>
>While I did receive several bona fide responses, I also received the
>message that I am including below. It is, word for word, an exact duplicate
>of one that I got a couple of days earlier, with the only difference being
>that the supposed seller in that instance was purportedly from Poland, and
>not the U.K.
>
>Looking at the poor grammar & the vague references in the text of the
>message it is fairly obvious that this is a "phish" --- by my posting this,
>I am hoping that the manager of the Amps Reflector might know that some
>scam artist(s) is trolling the list, & to let unsuspecting subscribers know
>that not all is what it might first appear to be...especially if it might
>involve a potential exchange of money!
>
>"FWIW" (for what it's worth)...
>
>~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ

Not phishing - he's not asking for your credit card details - its just a
straight forward Scam!

It would be interesting to take him up on his offer and get him to send a
photo. Or even better ask him for his address and say that you'll ask
someone in the UK to go and see him to check the goods.

For the benefit of list members, all UK phone numbers starting with a 7
after the +44 are mobile phone numbers, and if they are "pay as you go",
they are virtually untraceable.

David G4FTC