Re: [Amps] MOVs on HV PS

To: "AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] MOVs on HV PS
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2007 16:12:04 -0500
>If I understood W8JI recently, Tom said MOVs should not be installed in a
>piece of equipment, forcing the surge to green wire ground, but rather
>should only be at the service entrance (or single point ground?).

I can't speak on behalf of Tom, but I believe that is what he indicated and
this agrees with a technical white paper I read from Littelfuse over the
weekend.

The discussion started with me asking about the placement of MOVs inside an
amplifier.  Taking my lead from other commercial and consumer designs, I was
contemplating the placement of MOVs from line-to-line and from each line of
the 240 VAC side to GND.   There are many "3-way protection" MOV devices out
there that are improperly tying these last two MOVs to GND when used far
away from the service entrance (e.g., surge-protecting multiple outlet
strips).  The "whole house" protectors appear to use both the GND and
Neutral reference.  But this is the ONLY point that GND should be diverting
energy through an MOV.

At this point, I am adding a Leviton whole house system and the only MOV I
will add to the Alpha 86 will be placed across the 240VAC line, right after
the 20A fuses.

Paul, W9AC