Re: [Amps] Need Help Diagnosing a Collins 30L1 Amp Problem

To: <w2cqm@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Need Help Diagnosing a Collins 30L1 Amp Problem
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 22:11:38 -0500
Suspect bandswitch problems in the tank circuit sections.

Make sure the sections are INDEXED correctly.  If you took the switch rod
out during cleaning or rebuilding there could be a possibility the loading
section was mis-indexed 180 degrees in one section.   Its been a long time
since I have had to service a 30L-1 (not quite 30 years)

There could also be a potential problem with the switch just flat being
tarnished.  Here's where gentle treatment with tarn-x and a Q-Tip and
multiple switchings could fix it.  Then follow up with ALKY and a Q-TIP to
clean off the Tarn-X as you cant wash the assembled amp in water.

Do not leave chunks of cotton from the Q-Tip stuck in the switch and be very
careful not to bend contacts.  I have brought many a Collins bandswitch back
from the grave.

I would NOT SUSPECT THE TUBES.

Also by tuning the loading where it is going, you could possibly be actually
pushing the amp plate into running as a doubler.

Lets make sure the bandswitch is 100% first.

BOB DD