Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A

To: "'Jiri Culak'" <jiriculak@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Alpha 87A
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:18:43 -0400
Jiri,

U2 on the High Voltage Power Supply Board is responsible for IP monitoring.
I suspect your U2 has gone bad. The same chip went bad in my 87A, though the
symptoms were not as drastic as yours. The bottom LED would light up even
when no current was flowing. Eventually, it lit up the second LED. I figured
it would eventually go up the scale and cause problems like the one you are
having.

In my 87A, U2 is a Motorola MC1536U 8-pin op-amp. It's possible that
different revisions of the PSU use different op amps and passive components,
so you should check which chip is actually on your board. When mine went bad
a few years ago, I tried to find a replacement but discovered that the chip
is no longer manufactured. Some suppliers still carry it, but you have to
buy in very large quantities. Alpha ordered a bunch of the chips and sent me
one, and I used it to replace the bad chip. Problem solved.

You might want to check with Alpha to see if they have any of the MC1536U on
hand they could send you.

73, Dick WC1M