Re: [Amps] 160 m antenna swr

To: "'Alex Aimette'" <w2ox@verizon.net>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 160 m antenna swr
From: "W5CUL" <w5cul@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 13:55:53 -0500
Hi Alex,

I live in a subdivision that does not allow towers, much less elevated
antennas.  So I am pretty familiar with your situation.

If the antenna is cut to resonance, meaning no measurable capacitive or
inductive reactance at the Frequency of choice, and the impedance is
something other than your desired impedance required to match the coax
transmission line, then I would use a Balun at the feed point.  I have a
loop for 75M that is not even close to being a 1/2w off the ground. It's
impedance at resonance, due to height and surrounding area, is roughly 120
ohms.  So I built a 2.5:1 Balun using a ferrite toroid and some formvar
coated wiring.  This is all enclosed into a weather proof box.  My SWR is
now ~1.1:1 or lower at resonance, and the antenna/Balun can take what ever I
can throw at it, given my meek 1KW amp.

If you would like more info on this, feel free to email me off list.

73,

Mike
W5CUL