[Amps] Alpha 87a with Palstar AT-AUTO Tuner

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] Alpha 87a with Palstar AT-AUTO Tuner
From: "JOS Earthlink" <jsternmd@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 23:54:43 -0400
Hi Group,

Recently had my Alpha 87a checked out at Alpha and working great.  I got a
Palstar 1.5kw autotuner and it has been working well with the Alpha where I
would first autotune under low power and then place the Alpha 87a from Stdby
to Opr.  Today on 80m started getting soft 14 fault when operating above 1kw
on SSB or CW.  I checked this several times by monitoring my SWR on a
Powermaster meter while slowly bringing up the exciter drive to the 87a with
a pulsed carrier (or SSB) and when forward power was ~1000w and reflected
was less than 5 watts (SWR read 1.08) ... the amp faults (14) as I increase
drive and edge above above forward 1000w.  Doesn't seem to be a problem on
other bands (40, 20m....yet).

Any advice appreciated.

73 Jerry
K1JOS