Re: [Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ceramic capacitor ratings
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 07:43:55 +0200 (CEST)
Manfred said:
>By the way, we can get even more peace of mind if we consider that an
amplifier in ham use will run in ICAS, and typically in SSB, with an
average much below the peak. So it turns out that those 100pF caps in
practice will just be loafing along!<
I would have supported this view until recently, when I started a rebuild of a
45 year old amplifier where the capacitors were rated on that basis. There I
found definite signs of overheating, with presumably some loss of
metallisation, as the measured capacity was only 50% of what it should have
been in one case. So although the concept is true, I'm not too sure about long
term reliability. Of course, you could question quite what you want in terms of
life from an amplifier!! It's the sort of thing you can get probably get away
with if you're 60 years old, but you may not want to if you're only 20.
73
Peter G3RZP