Re: [Amps] 3-500 Pins? (AA6DX - Mark)

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 3-500 Pins? (AA6DX - Mark)
From: "David Lisney" <g0fvt@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 02:30:02 +0100
Hi,
lead will be continued to be allowed to be used in solder for some
applications, so the premise that it will be instantly forbidden is
untrue...
Somewhere on the net    >> http://www.rohs.gov.uk/  <<is the ROHS document
which details the categories.
Strangely enough they have gone to the trouble recently of clarifying the
issues with computers used as servers.

There are some exemptions which relate to high temperature components too,
the document seems to have evolved somewhat since I last looked a few months
ago.

(I must admit I have stocked up on good old fashioned 60/40 solder for my
own consumption)

It appears that valves/tubes intended for RF heating in an industrial
environment would be exempt.. however even that looks to be ambiguous...
here is a paragraph:

Exemptions
      Large-scale stationary industrial tools

      Large scale industrial tools are specifically exempt under category 6.
There is no present clear guidance on the scope of EEE covered by this
exemption and it is therefore difficult for us to give advice with
certainty. Our present view is based on all of the following criteria:

        a.. Consist of a combination of equipment, systems, products and/or
components (therefore not a singe discrete tool such as a small or medium
scale lathe, milling machine or pillar drill)
        b.. Be a tool and not be covered under any other category
        c.. Be required to be fixed to operate safely or within
specification
        d.. Be of 'large-scale'
        e.. Require professional installation
        f.. Only be used in an industrial environment
        g.. Be built to perform a specific task

      All a bit confusing when the government department seems unsure!

      Regards David G0FVT