Re: [Amps] Replacements for Carbon Composition Resisotrs

To: "Jeff Weinberg W8CQ" <w8cqjeff@hughes.net>,"AMPS" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Replacements for Carbon Composition Resisotrs
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:04:01 -0400
> A little OT, but I can't find much info on the subject.  I
> am restoring some old Knight AM gear and need to replace
> some old, off-value carbon composition resistors.  What is
> the best replacement for these resistors in RF and/or
> power circuits, metal film or metal oxide or what??

Unless it is a critical inductance application like a
parasitic suppressor or a critical applications like a short
duty transient energy absorbing resistor, a regular metal
film or carbon film or metal oxide would work perfectly.
They are all better than old carbon comps, except for
inductance critical or surge critical applications.

If it is a surge or inductance critical application like a
HV fault resistance, parasitic suppression, or RF
termination; a metal composition like a OX or OY series
Ohmite would be a superior replacement.

73 Tom