Re: [Amps] ACOM-1000 replacing tubes

To: <rbonner@qro.com>, "'Paul M Dunphy'" <amplifier@ve1dx.net>,"'Amplifier- List'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] ACOM-1000 replacing tubes
From: "k7fm" <k7fm@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 06:55:14 -0700
Two months ago, W1IOU was found slumped over his workbench, with burn marks
covering 80% of his body.  His wife had been out shopping and returned to
find him dead.  In front of him was a Heathkit SB-220 amplifier opened.
Autopsies found that he died from electrocution.

After his wife met with the family lawyer, a fellow ham came over to prepare
for the estate sale and found the following notes from the lawyer.

"1.  Please assemble all owners and operator's manuals so that your case
lawyer can review them for specific instructions regarding safety
precautions.

2.  Please search and find any bills or notes of anyone who may have worked
on this amplifier.

3.  Find any original bill of sale so that we can determine who sold the
amplifier to your husband.

4.  Please list the name of any school teachers that may have taught your
husband electronics, and the full school names.

5.  Attach the name and full address of any living parents who may have
given your husband instructions on safety precautions dealing with high
voltage.

6.  List the name and address of the electrician who wired your home.

7.  List the name and address of any neighbor who might have complained to
your husband about interference, which could have caused him to open his
amplifier.

8.  List the manufacturer of the tubes in the amplifier.

9.  Bring his computer in, so that we may carefully go through the contents
to determine if your husband was a member of any "reflectors", in which case
we will join all of the amateurs who may have given any advice about working
on amplifiers, without giving proper safety advice about the dangers of
working on your own equipment, and specific advice about working on the
Heathkit amplifier.

We anticipate that legal action will take about 6 years and exhaust your
financial reserves before recovery.  Our fee is 40% of what we spend and 50%
of what we recover."

73,  Colin  K7FM