Re: [Amps] LYE

To: "Larry" <larry@w7iuv.com>, <rbonner@qro.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] LYE
From: "Barrie Smith" <barrie@centric.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 14:14:14 -0600
Larry:

That's nowhere near the concentration I use.  I'll have to look it up, but I
think I use about ten times that amount of sodium hydroxide for that amount
of water.

You must start with cold water.  Add the sodium hydroxide slowly, with
constant stiring  (or the stuff will form a "pile" on the bottom of the
container).

Use an inert (glass or rubber is good) container and stiring device.

Never add water to dry sodium hydroxide.  It can and will explode.  Add
sodium hydroxide slowly to water.

Due to the chemical reaction with the water, the solution will be very hot
when mixing is complete.

Wear long gloves and face-protection.

73, Barrie, W7ALW