Re: [Amps] Ion Pumps

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Ion Pumps
From: "Mike Saculla" <fqm@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 19:29:57 -0700
Hi Tom,

10 to -6 or -7 sounds right to me. That would be easy enough to achieve in a
vacuum tube.

When I overheard the 70 Torr bit, the guy was reading from something, don't
remember what... it was that long ago. I thought it strange at that time but
wasn't involved in the qso and let it go. If I stopped to think about it,
the pressure would have to be well below 70 millitorr (into the "molecular
flow" region) to have a free enough path for electrons to flow from cathode
to anode. Otherwise, there would be too many molecules in the way of the
electrons, causing collisions and ionization and stuff that wouldn't allow a
tube to function.

Thanks for the info Tom!

Mike WA6FQM