Re: [Amps] W6PO 2m amp

To: hduff@cogeco.ca, amps@contesting.com, vhftubeamps@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] W6PO 2m amp
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 19:14:04 EDT

Sounds like a classic case of low drive power. That tube typically has a
gain of around 14 dB with plate voltage that low.

If the cathode bias is set to a level higher than optimum, the gain  could be
even lower.

If you increase the drive level I bet you will see both plate current and
power output rise dramatically. As this happens, the grid current will also
start showing, possibly requiring readjustment of the plate tuning and loading
to keep grid current at the proper level.

The input circuit will require adjustment as the amplifier power increases,
to minimize the input vswr. Cathode impedance is heavily dependant on cathode
current which is the sum of plate and grid currents.

Sounds like you are on the verge of having a well working 2m  PA!

73,
Gerald K5GW

 In a message dated 5/9/2007 5:32:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,