Re: [Amps] attaching a heat spreader to a heat sink

To: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] attaching a heat spreader to a heat sink
From: kg7hf@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 11:06:43 +0000

I agree with everything here, I just think that it's likely overkill to need to
do the final sanding step.   If you have a good planer, and are careful in the
setup, the runout should be very minimal, maybe on the order of 0.001 to
0.0001.  More than likely, the problem you will see is not a "bow" or warpage
issue, but uneven an uneven plane where one side is slightly thicker than the
other.  I wouldn't think that would be a problem either given the differences,
there might be some slightly greater heating on the thin side/end.

I have also noticed the same as you, having the heat spreader sheered, not cut
seems to induce bowing/warpage, but that is easy to take care of too.  Now, I
don't think I would try running my copper heat spreader through the planer,
maybe if I was desperate and wanted to waste a set of knives, but that is
pretty hard stuff for something spinning at 10,000 rpm to deal with.  But, to
get rid of burrs an such on the end, just use a flat file and file it, who
cares if the very edges don't contact the heat sink?

I've only done one solid state amp so far, based on the MRF141G (based on the
an313 app note), and it seems to work out fine, but I do have quite a big heat
spreader, I think that likely with fans, I could get away with not having an al
heat sink.

I'm in the process of making a new amp, based on the ARF1500, these are the
same guys that are in the new Tokyo HP 2.5 amp.  I've actually been considering
takeing a different approach on getting rid of the al heat on this one.  Here
is what I'm toying with.  Not use an al heat sink at all, and go with an
integrated copper heat sink.  This could be made for example by cutting 1/2 or
3/8 in copper pipe, and stacking them on top of each other, then soldering that
stack together, perhaps by dipping them in a solder pot.  Then, attach that
stack of short pipes to the heat spreader in the same way.  In this way, the
heat sink would become one unit.  A fan could easly be attached to one end of
hte pipes to force cool air through them.

73s Paul kg7hf
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>