[Amps] 1296 QRO

To: km1h@jeremy.mv.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 1296 QRO
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sat, 26 May 2007 11:34:06 EDT

Carl, Bob and others, depending on your definition of QRO, there  are several
options for power today:

1> the hot project currently is a single water cooled GS15B, good for  10W
drive to about 400w output, designed by KD5FZX and in use by many ops and
documented at www.nd2x.net. Makes a great driver for #5 and 6 below. The tubes
cost less than $25 and apparently there are thousands available.

2> Pairs of 7289 water cooled, good for about 250w out, documented in
several ARRL books. We are beginning to run out of cheap tubes and the GS15B is
much better choice today.

3> GS23B, water cooled, coaxial cavity, good for close to 1500w out,  design
by KD5FZX, documented at _www.nd2x.net._ (http://www.nd2x.net.)

4>YL1050, air cooled, good for 1200-1400w, documented in Dubus.

5>TH347 coaxial cavity amp by DL9EBA? available through DF6NA, air  cooled,
good for about 2000W. Shows up from time to time for sale by  current owners.

6>TH347 square radial cavity by K5GW, not documented but info available,  air
cooled, good for 3KW+.

7> solid state amps good for about 500W made in Germany, can be found on
internet.

With a 12ft dish, on 1296MHz, you can work every known eme cw station and
many more JT65 stations all over the world. With the circular polarity feeds
now
 in use, the band is a real joy to operate!

You may have heard about the portable (on a 16ft farm trailer) operation by
WA5WCP last summer in CT, RI, VT and MA. He worked all over the world with  a
10ft TVRO dish and 300W. The operation was organized because no one is on 1296
 eme in these states.

73,
Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 5/26/2007 8:01:55 A.M. Central Daylight Time,