Re: [Amps] Wire Gauge

To: "kk4tr" <jdube1@bellsouth.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Wire Gauge
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Sun, 27 May 2007 08:57:03 -0400
>    Does anyone out there know the gauge of the wire that
> is used to wind the plate choke on an Alpha 76 Amplifier??
> I need to rewind the choke but I am having a bit of
> trouble finding the size of the wire to begin with.  I
> think it is either 20 or 22 gauge.  If any out there knows
> for sure I would really appriciate the help.  The ones
> sold by RF Products and  Ameritron are smaller gauge than
> the one used on the alpha.

Joe,

Probably the very least critical parameter of the choke is
the wire size. The most critical parameter is the
impedance..... especially where series resonances occur.

A thinner wire is actually better in most cases of broadband
single layer chokes, and since the wire is exposed to air
and against a form that helps dissipate heat almost any
gauge that will wind without braking will be ok at the
current of most amps. Use whatever you have that is a
reasonable size, even 26 would be OK. Just be sure to check
for series resonances in Ham bands.That's what is most
critical.

73 Tom