Re: [Amps] AL1500 PSU design

To: "pat_f6irf" <f6irf@free.fr>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL1500 PSU design
From: "Tom W8JI" <w8ji@w8ji.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2007 17:49:26 -0400
The new cap. assembly  bleeder is 1.2 Mohms (12x 100k) so I
was
expecting the condensers to charge roughly at half the
voltage - just
for a first try... But I did not get the opportunity for a
second attempt !>>

Why select such a high equalizing and bleeder resistance? It
does no good at all, and can cause harm. Is there a reason
to use such high resistance? I cannot think of one.

> Also what was the voltage rating of the 2W resistors? You
> would have 1200V across each. Are they rated to handle
> that?

Don't know the ratings as they are in a drawer for 25 years
or so... but
they did not blow up... that's for sure...>>

Did they arc internally?
The original caps are Philips 3186BE211T4450AMA3 - they are
rated for
450V service / 525V surge>>

No, the capacitors are custom ordered 3186BE211T.

They are not distributor stock capacitors, they come in from
the factory with special testing. While all capactors used
the higher voltage foil, the ones ordered  are selected
components. It was always right on the purchase order.

You can do that when you buy 5-10,000 parts at a time. I
know that for a fact because I wrote the test specs.

73 Tom