Re: [Amps] Transformer question

To: "'jeremy-ca'" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, "'Tom W8JI'" <w8ji@w8ji.com>,"'Amps Amps'" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Transformer question
From: "Robert Bonner" <rbonner@qro.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2007 20:27:58 -0500
Oh my goodness here we go again discussing how to put a plug on a ham
amplifier.

After having worked in the past as a professional electrician not a ham
wiring his own rig I have found:

240V circuits don't have neutrals...  They have each side of the line plus a
safety ground.  A pair of blacks, a red and a black, or a pair of reds.  The
safety ground is either bare or it is GREEN.

A 240/120 circuit to power SOME ranges, maybe dryers, ovens whatever have
both 240V components and 120V components.....  Something like a 120V outlet
on the backsplash on a 240V appliance.  This is a 4 wire installation.  A
pair of lines, a white neutral (with a neutral buss) and a green safety
ground.

At no point in the existence of the world is NEUTRAL = GROUND.  However the
two are connected together at your main service entrance panel...  PERIOD.
They are not connect together at any subfeed panels.

The two are connected together BECAUSE...  Your power company provides two
lines and a neutral to power your house.  YOU provide the ground.  This is
done at the panel with the two tied together.

NOW, if you want to build a ham rig with 240/120 power, go right ahead.  If
you WANT TO DO IT TO CODE, you better hang a 4 wire cord on the damn thing
and a 4 conductor plug.  You better not GROUND that neutral putting the 120V
return currents on the chassis.  It requires an additional NEUTRAL BUSS...
Do it!

There isn't a ham rig in the world that to code runs 240/120 circuits.

HOWEVER...  The Alpha 77DX/SX illegally ran a two wire cord plus ground and
utilized the chassis as a neutral. This rig should have been a 240/120
system.  I'm surprised it went to production.  It obviously wasn't UL
approved.  Or somebody wasn't looking close if it was.

Just because you can do it doesn't make it right.

TOM, does know what he is talking about.
While I don't bow to him in the east every morning, I haven't found him to
be wrong on many occasions.

If I do I will make sure I let him know and I'm sure he would expect me to
do so.

BOB DD