Re: [Amps] AL-80B transformer tap

To: punk_itup@yahoo.com, Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] AL-80B transformer tap
From: Gudguyham@aol.com
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 02:52:23 EDT

In a message dated 7/23/2007 2:41:12 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
punk_itup@yahoo.com writes:

So what  do you guys think, is the 245VAC tap the way
to go? Also keep in mind that  I have only done three
readings, the line voltage could drop closer to  240
under further grid demand. It was suggested to me by
KM1H to watch  the effects on the tube filament
voltage, but I do need a starting point,  and I am
quiet willing to admit that I lack experience.

Peace
James - AD1L

Hi James,  You are VERY fortunate to have such "nice" line  voltage.  But to
the point, the most important thing here is the filament  voltage.  You want
your filament voltage to be 5 volts.  Eimac will  tolerate 5.25 volts, but you
will get better tube life at 4.8 to 5 volts.   The thing to do is to actually
measure your filament voltage using the 245 tap  and see what it is.  If it's
high go to the 250 tap.  If it is spec,  you can stay with 245 tap.  The tube
must be in the socket when measuring  and measure right at the filament pins
of the tube socket.  As far as HV  goes, any tap is OK for that.  The lower the
tap, the higher your plate  voltage will be.  You won't notice a difference
of "on the air" signal but  you will get a tad bit more power out on a lower
tap.  The filament voltage  will dictate. 73 Lou