Re: [Amps] Tokyo HL-1.5KFX Yaesu pinout

To: <Gudguyham@aol.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tokyo HL-1.5KFX Yaesu pinout
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 17:39:14 -0400

> In a message dated 7/29/2007 3:31:55 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
> sub1@rogerhalstead.com writes:
>
> I  recently purchased a Tokyo HL-1.5K solid state 160 through 6 KW amp.
> It
> comes with band data cables for Icom, Kenwood, and Yaesu. I plan on using
> it
> with both my Icom 756 Pro in here and the little Yaesu 897D out in the
> shop.
> Unfortunately the Yaesu cable is for the large 8 pin DIN connectors  on
> the
> FT1000MP and others of the type. Fortunately I have the data cable  for
> the
> 897D that uses the mini 8 pin DIN connector. Unfortunately it's  the
> serial
> cable for CAT operation and I don't want to cut the end  off.  Fortunately
> happen to have several Apple printer cables with  the mini 8 pin DIN
> connector. Unfortunately Tokyo RF-Labs didn't include a  pin-out  of the
> Yaesu band data socket on the back of the amp.   It works great in the
> manual
> mode.
>

> Ok, so what would I do.  Lets see here,  Ok, first I would do  this.  I
> would
> take the Icom data cable and I would ring out the Tokyo high  power end of
> the cable with the Icom plug and chart the results. Like  this:
>
> Tokyo high power  plug                                Icom plug'
>
> Pin  1                                                         Pin 8
> Pin  2                                                         Pin 4
> Pin  3                                                        Pin  1
> Pin  4                                                        Pin  3
> Pin  5                                                         Pin 2

Sounds good but there are two problems. Icom and yaesu use a different
method of data transfer and they used different connectors. They use two
methods on the Icom. One is the I-IV digital interface and the other is a 7
to 5 pin DIN cable. Yaesu uses an 8 pin Din to 5 Pin DIN.  This is what I
did with the Yaesu cable but I don't have a manual giving the FT1000MP
pinout, nor could I find one on the net.There is a page on the net for a
conversion that lists the pinout for the FT1000MP but when I use that I find
a data line and the 13+ going to the same pin, which may or may not be a
problem.   What I need is confirmation of the pin out for the band data
connector on the FT1000MP and then I could trace it out.  Of course the DIN
connectors don't really follow a logical pattern for pin numbering either.
<:-))

> etc                                                             etc
>
> Now, you know what pin on the Icom corresponds with what pin on the  Tokyo

Unfortunately as these are different connectors on the HL-1.5K there is no
direct correlation.

73

Roger (K8RI - EN73)