Re: [Amps] Looking to purchase a good 6 meter amplifier

To: "'Bill Fuqua'" <wlfuqu00@uky.edu>, <PJPilot@aol.com>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Looking to purchase a good 6 meter amplifier
From: "Gary Schafer" <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 15:12:11 -0500
Actually they are pretty close in their specs. If you figure that the amp
runs 60% efficiency on SSB and 30% carrier efficiency on AM then things work
out ok.

1000 watts carrier INPUT should give around 300 watts carrier output. 4x 300
= 1200 watts PEP output for AM. 1200 watts PEP output at 60% efficiency =
2000 watts PEP input.

The trick with a linear on AM is that the efficiency increases with
modulation so it does not have to handle 4x the carrier input power on
modulation peaks.

73
Gary  K4FMX