Re: [Amps] rotary switch - shorting/non-shorting

To: Amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] rotary switch - shorting/non-shorting
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 05:08:24 +0000

> > Shorting and non-shorting are common terms in describing
> > rotary switches.
> > The make-before-break , etc. are common for toggle
> > switches and relays.
>

>Right you are Bill, but I'm wondering if it is different in
>Europe or other places for rotary and they use make before
>break to mean shorting in a rotary?

Certainly in the UK make-before-break and break-before-make are standard
descriptions for all switches, including rotary.

The normal description for a shorting wafer of a rotary would be a rotating
open circuit but this would apply to the type of wafer where all of the
unused contacts are shorted together.

I don't know what the term used is to decribe a progressively shorting
wafer. These don't seem to be standard stock items from our distributors so
I guess they may be to special order only, and then the purchaser would need
to provide a specification/drawing of what he requires.

David G4FTC