Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Shipping Alpha 91b from US to Eu
From: "David G4FTC" <g4ftc@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2007 05:28:35 +0000

"James M. Daly" wrote

>I do not have direct experience freighting an Amp out of the US into the
>EU,
>but I do have recent experience with cargo in the opposite direction, EU to
>US.
>
>Last Monday I picked up my OptiBeam OB11-3 antenna from the Swiss Air
>WorldCargo warehouse at Boston Logan Airport. Thomas (DF2BO) used Rohlig
>AirCargo as his freight forwarding agent, but Swiss WorldCargo was the
>actual carrier. The package was picked up by truck at Tom's shop and
>transported to nearby Stuttgart DE, flown to Zurich CH and then on to
>Boston
>US. The details are; 1 carton (251cm x 22cm x 19cm) weighing 37Kg. Total
>cost to me from Tom's shop to my airport 180-Euro, the Swiss Air Waybill
>listed 148-Euro for their portion of that amount. I also paid a $30
>"terminal fee" at Logan.

<Snip>

>I can tell you in a simplistic manner that for importing into the US we are
>allowed to present an clear items for personal use through the Customs
>Office without an Accredited Broker as "Informal Entries" provided the
>goods
>have a declared value of less then $2000, and we are able to present an Air
>waybill, invoice for goods detailing value, and proof of US Citizenship
>(Passport only) or Resident Alien Status (Green Card only). We are
>responsible for any duty to be paid. In my case I was expecting 3%, they
>however said there would be "no duty" and simply charged me a $9 processing
>fee. The rules in Slovenia may be very, very different for import.

One of the big cons here in the UK is that they charge duty and VAT not only
on the value of the goods but also on the carriage charges.

The combined duty and VAT is typically 25%.  Nevertheless even at these
extorionate rates, importing from the USA can be cost effective mainly
because the price of new equipment charged by our dealers is double that of
the state-side price!

Also you're lucky to only pay only a $9 processing fee = here it can be
anywhere between $30 and $80 depending on the carrier.

David G4FTC