Re: [Amps] TL-922A

To: decaturbrad@yahoo.com, amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] TL-922A
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:34:58 EDT

Back in the mid 80's I ran a TL922 while "playing" at contesting. I say
playing because my contesting skills are too poor to really compete.

Even in the play mode on SSB after a couple of hours of steady operation, a
pungent "my power transformer is getting too warm" smell would appear. I never
 had a failure but was concerned about the amplifier survival.

Running CW on the SSB setting will place a higher duty cycle on the unit  and
hasten the over heating period. I would suggest that casual hunt and pounce
style operating might be ok but rag chewing or heavy contesting is a  definite
no-no.

My two cents worth,

Gerald K5GW

In a message dated 9/13/2007 10:46:04 P.M. Central Daylight Time,