[Amps] 4CX250 IMD

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 4CX250 IMD
From: Peter Chadwick <g3rzp@g3rzp.wanadoo.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 22:32:29 +0200 (CEST)
carl said:
>Two tone PEP has been mentioned several times as the reference used for the
4CX250R under discussion.<
But which RCA were talking about, I don't know. They don't say.

>> Nobody has mentioned measurement uncertainty in this discussion,
> either......

Oh yes it has. I asked how Eimac measured PEP in the 50's. Some of the
youngsters on here might be surprised to learn that the micropressor driven
peak reading, self correcting and wash your windows sir, wattmeter hadnt
been invented quite yet (;<
Plus there's only a few of us old fogies from the pre - digital readout era
appear to understand the difference between resolution and accuracy. And an
accredited laboratory is expected to a 95% certainty to measure RF power to
better than +/-1dB. To a tighter limit, the certainty drops.....So if your
wattemeter tells me that the output is 275.123 watts, I'll give you a Bronx
cheer! It's like the clock that strikes thirteen - you don't believe any of it.
(except in that case, at Saltaire in Yorkshire)
73
Peter G3RZP