[Amps] Switching off Drake L-4B occasionally trips mains RCD

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Switching off Drake L-4B occasionally trips mains RCD
From: Alan Ibbetson <alan@g3xaq.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2007 22:25:06 +0100
As is common in the UK, the mains supply for my whole house is protected
by an RCD (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Residual-current_device for
a description). I think they are called GFCIs in the US.

Every once in a while, say 3 times this year, this RCD trips when I
switch off my Drake L-4B amplifier. Murphy's Law dictates that this will
always be at night, so the house is plunged into darkness, and in the
middle of the XYL's favourite soap, so I am plunged dans la merde.

Tonight was one of those nights and I'm seeking help on finding the
cause and curing it. Reproducing a fault that only occurs a few times a
year is going to be problematic, so I wonder if anyone has any
hypotheses as to what is happening?

For those unfamiliar with the L-4B, it only uses a single pole switch
for the mains power, can be wired for 115v or 230v AC with jumpers on
the transformers, and uses the tapped primary of the filament
transformer as an auto transformer to supply 115v to the blower when
operating from 230v mains. I had problems with heat with the stock
blower so I fitted a Dayton 4C761 as advised on this list. I always have
the mode switch on the lower HT CW/Tune position when I switch off. I
don't know whether any of this is significant, I'm just trying to
provide you all with data.

Ideas anyone?
--

Thanks,