Re: [Amps] CB Amps or full spectrum???

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <chasm@texas.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] CB Amps or full spectrum???
From: "EP Swynar" <gswynar@durham.net>
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2007 09:24:45 -0400
Hi Guys,

The old CB-type linear amplifiers can be VERY useful peripherals for the
mobile operator --- especially on 10-meters, where very little is needed in
the L/C networks incorporated within, beyond a bit of tweeking...

I especially like working on the tube-type amplifiers --- but beware! Many
of these things used multi-vibrator power supply systems incorporating
high-power GERMANIUM power transistors that can cost a small fortune to-day,
if you're not careful!

And the biasing of them needs attention, too (I guess CB'ers didn't concern
themselves with the QUALITY of their emissions, in as much as all they
wanted to be was LOUD). But even this can be as simple as installing 9 - 12
volts worth of battery power inside the thing, & replacing same once a
year...

Nothing compares to that sudden but comforting "...Hummmmmm" when you first
key the mic, & the high-voltage p.s. kicks in! You're on the air, indeed, &
re-cycling a bit of radio history in the process, too...

~73~ Eddy VE3CUI - VE3XZ