Re: [Amps] Considering an Alpha 76PA

To: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>, <Gary@doctorgary.net>,<amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Considering an Alpha 76PA
From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:17:02 -0700
If you go to the Alpha website you can learn about the mods for the greater
output on the 76 models or they used to do it for a price.  Most of the 76's
were modified for higher output power years ago although there probably are
a few still around as the amp was designed and marketed  before the FCC
changed the rules on power but perfectly capable of putting out past the
legal limit at todays standards with a somewhat minor change to the input
circuitry.

Van, K7VS

I have two 76CA's that work well, look well and put out in excess of 1500
watts DC on CW and of course over 1500 watts PEP output (into a dummy load
of course) and I use them in "contest mode" running full legal limit on all
modes with no problems from CW thru RTTY.