Re: [Amps] 50 Ohm Loads

To: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>, <Amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] 50 Ohm Loads
From: "jeremy-ca" <km1h@jeremy.mv.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:58:11 -0500
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
To: <Amps@contesting.com>
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 12:35 PM

> On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 12:17:29 -0500, jeremy-ca wrote:
>
>>The loads covered up to 1500 KHz or so and
>>above that the cap had to be changed.
>
> I know you said that, but I don't believe it.

Since it was used succcessfuly by a Gates installation team in the 60's that
statement is irrelevant.

540-1700 kHz is a 3:1 range.
> In most RF systems, a dummy load needs to be pretty close to purely
> resistive. It is hard to believe that what you describe could achieve that
> over anything approaching a 3:1 frequency range with a wire wound
> resistor.
> It certainly could be achieved, to some reasonable tolerance, over the
> bandwidth of one broadcast station.

Without knowing the actual construction of the load or resistive element I
fail to understand how you can justify such a blanket statement.

>>I see no reason why an inductive resistor cant be used with reactance
>>compensation in a monoband load such as used in a 160 or 80M 4 square.
>
> Over a narrow frequency range it might be made to work.

I have a pair of 100 Ohm 50W to try and have absolutely no doubt that it
will work very well.

Carl
KM1H