Re: [Amps] Using HV rectifiers from microwave ovens

To: "Manfred Mornhinweg" <mmornhin@gmx.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Using HV rectifiers from microwave ovens
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:17:38 -0800
The modern 1N5408`s do not require bridging with resistors&capacitors and
can be found on the internet very reasonable in price. I use series parallel
strings by matching diodes using my hipot tester to determine reverse
v.breakdown of each diode and then using  matched diodes in my
FWB/FWCT,etc...Airflow is always important and strings should be arranged
for most effective air cooling.The last time I lost a diode string was in
the late 1970`s and that was using the old 2.5 amp/1kv Radio Shack diodes
with "Protection" and that during a glitch with the old 4-1000`s...I have
also tested and used many of Franks (K2AW) Diode blocks and find these test
very closely,however being enclosed in epoxy are somewhat harder to cool...I
found a local operator  to test my amps....He likes to get every last
watt&then some so if things survive him I guess I did it right!
73 & happy turkey day to everyone,Jim K7RDX...----- Original Message -----