Re: [Amps] BeO in tubes/tinwhiskers

To: <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] BeO in tubes/tinwhiskers
From: Pat Barthelow <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 14:54:08 -0800
> From: sub1@rogerhalstead.com
Roger Wrote:
SNIP lots of material:

> OTOH due to an over reaction we are being forced to remove lead from
> electronics. It's not that lead isn't an environmental pollutant, but it is
> necessary (so far) to prevent "tin whiskers" from forming in devices. We
> need to weigh the impact of removing the lead compared to early failure of
> satellites (it's already happened) to medical devices (pacemakers recalled).
> It only takes a tiny amount to prevent, or greatly reduce the formation of
> these "tin whiskers" and until we find a suitable replacement not using lead
> may pose more of a health threat than using it.

SNIP lots of material re BeO

RE the Tin whiskers, take a look at this:
http://nepp.nasa.gov/whisker/anecdote/2003rf_enclosure/index.html

Professor Todd Weatherford KI8CX, at the Navy School in Monterey is researchng
consequences of lead free electronics and predicts doom and gloom as to
lifetime of future electronic equipment due to the tin whisker problem,
which also manifests in the metals used in IC wafers. He predicts something
like less than a 2year MTBF on consumer electronics, due to the lead free
aspects.

All the Best, 73,
Pat Barthelow aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Subscribe: http://bambi.net/jamesburg.html
Jamesburg Earth Station Moon Bounce Team