Re: [Amps] Grid Protection Circuit for Titan 425

To: "amps@contesting.com" <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Grid Protection Circuit for Titan 425
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 08:10:01 -0800
On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 09:09:02 -0500, Pete Smith wrote:

>Is this possibly the dreaded power spike that has been discussed from time
>to time here?

As I read the doc for it, Ian's board offers protection for several faults.
But the one I am most concerned with is overdriving the grids, which is a
well known failure mechanism on 3CX800A7 tubes. This can easily happen in the
heat of battle, as you forget to tune when changing bands or QSYing, or when
something breaks. More modern amps include such circuitry, but the Titan is
an older design (late 70's).

73,

Jim K9YC