Re: [Amps] Roller inductor & wiper "grease""

To: <Gary@doctorgary.net>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Roller inductor & wiper "grease""
From: "Roger" <sub1@rogerhalstead.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 05:11:33 -0500
Although I see comments about using conductive grease, after working in
industry of over 26 years I never use conductive grease particularly for
wipers and coils on ceramic forms. The non conductive works just fine
keeping the contact areas clean. Pressure wipes the lubricant and a good
contact is made.If there is a poor contact and the grease/lube is conducting
it is likely to heat. It is far too easy to get the stuff where it doesn't
belong and once the conductive stuff is on the ceramic it normally takes
more than just wiping to remove any conductive traces.  I've replaced too
insulators due to conduction due to contaminants to trust a conductive
grease.  Admittedly we were running a tad more power than the amateur legal
limit though. We ran from about 6KW to over 200 KW out on some equipment.

Roger (K8RI)