Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Amps] Tranformer Suppliers
From: ToddRoberts2001@aol.com
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 18:50:43 EST
In a message dated 12/7/2007 6:05:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,
sccook1@cox.net writes:
Where can an individual purchase core material, paper, wire, etc?  We may
need to get serious about winding our own...
Wonder if there is a distributor who will sell Hypersil C cores to hams.
I would love to give it a try -- but can seem to locate anything on the
Internet.

I bought a nice supply of E-I laminations from Tempel Steel a number of years
ago. They will sell in small quantities to hams. I bought some nice bobbins
from another place I can't remember who it was right now. I found a big roll of
heavy-duty 70-lb Kraft Paper from Browncor.  I was able to build a nice heavy
-duty filament transformer from the parts. I haven't tried to buy a Hypersil
core though.

If someone wants to do more advanced work you can buy a suitable vacuum pump
on eBay for $100-$150 bucks or so. Get a vacuum Bell Jar, or build your own,
dunk your transformer in a tub of varnish inside the jar and turn on the vacuum
pump. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to vacuum impregnate a
transformer.

There are lots of suppliers out there who will sell online. Just look up what
you need on google.

73 Todd WD4NGG