Re: [Amps] Drake L4B/8877 Retrofit Problem

To: <w2cqm@juno.com>, <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [Amps] Drake L4B/8877 Retrofit Problem
From: "k7rdx" <k7rdx@charter.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 17:13:44 -0800
Hi Ron,I experianced nearly the same symptoms after modifying a Dentron
2000L (8877) With A Dahl replacement transformer upping the plate voltage
from the standard 2500 to 3800vdc. I replaced the plate tune cap with a
Jennings UCS-300/10KV vacuum variable as well as replacing the plate choke
with the 1.5 amp choke from RFParts (W8JI design)...All is fine here now and
the amp performs flawlessly on all bands 160-10..I guess you could nearly
classify this amp as home brew now...I re-mounted the tube vertically,added
a small blower of proper cfm rating,tuned input board the origional never
had,and a W4ZT adjustable bias board...A lot to squeeze into this relatively
small box...It`s now this poor mans Alpha 77dx..GL Ron,73, Jim, K7RDX..