[Amps] 8874

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] 8874
From: Art <k6xt@arrl.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2007 07:38:25 -0700
Running an idle current heat test after a period of storage the three
8874's in my Alpha 76PA vary in air outlet temp by 30 deg F. This seems
like a lot. I'm wondering if it is time to ditch the 8874 for a pair of
3CX800's, don't want to do it until I have to.

Some years ago I converted my other 76PA. The conversion went extremely
well but now Peter Dahl is not taking orders, does anyone know of an
alternate power transformer source? Rather than use one of the
alternatives (external - I have that transformer - or boost xfmr) I
would replace the E core. The extra 300Vp makes the 3CX800's sing right
along.

73 Art