[Amps] Kenwood TL-922A Problem

To: amps@contesting.com
Subject: [Amps] Kenwood TL-922A Problem
From: TNeill1648@aol.com
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 21:10:35 EST
We recently had a very severe thunder storm with tremendous lightning strikes
occurring a few miles from my QTH.  I did not suffer a direct hit but the sky
was full of electricity.  Unfortunately, this amp is used at a station I have
in one of my horse barns and I was unable to get to it to disconnect the AC
and the antenna.  (The antenna still works fine).

After the storm passed my TL-922A amplifier ceased to work.  Here is what I
have observed with the amp after the storm:

-No blown fuses.
-HV is normal.
-Idle plate current is normal.
-No burned smell anywhere.
-All switches and controls seem to be normal.
-Change over relay appears to function normal.

When I close the changeover relay and apply drive nothing happens.  The
exciter is working properly.

I have not removed any panels to investigate the trouble but my problem
appears to be in the input circuit since everything else seems to be OK.  This
weekend I am going to remove the panels and begin troubleshooting the problem.
just wondered if anyone familiar with this amplifier might have a suggestion
as to where to start or if anyone else has had this problem.  In 20 years of
use, this is the first problem I have ever had with the TL-922A.

Thanks you for any suggestions or recommendations.

HNY in 08.

Tom Neill
K4XG